Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Snickers' NEW language of snacks


First, let me say, words that are written to sound like a word but are spelled wrong drive me bonkers! So much bonkers that I try not to solicit businesses that do this. I figure, if they can't spell, then why spend my money with them? And it's gotten worse since I have small children that are learning to read! I'm constantly trying to explain, "yes, that's how the word sounds but that's not how we spell it." I know there is a formal name for what this is called, I just can't think of it right now because I'm so darned tired. But, what Snickers is doing is different and requires more thought than a simple mispelling. Snickers is creating their own language, making up words, similar to what I do sometimes. Words used in the snickers advertising campaign are twisted to reflect a Snickers connection, so a taxi becomes a snaxi and basketball great Patrick Ewing becomes Patrick Chewing. So clever! According to NY Times, 'Snacklish' is what they're calling this language. It's a humorous way of speaking that revises everyday words and phrases for a Snickers-centric world. To underscore their origin, they are printed in the typeface and colors of the Snickers brand logo. For instance, combine the rapper Master P with the peanut, a main ingredient of Snickers, and he turns into Master P-nut — perhaps a hip-hop relation of the Planters brand mascot, Mr. Peanut. Other examples include a peanutarium, for planetarium; and chompensation, for compensation. And the Sigma Nu fraternity is transformed into Sigma Nougat, after another Snickers ingredient. The possibilities are endless, post your ideas here!

No comments:

Post a Comment